Saturday 2 July 2016

Elevator Music

Elevator Music - music that elevates my heart and soul, and boy have I been in need of a lift since the shock to my system of leaving the EU..

I seem to be making the transition to digital music this year. With my wish-list increasing dramatically over the last couple of years the price of CDs against the download price has been brought into focus. Space is also a consideration.

I’ve been methodically recording my CD collection onto a HDD to use in the car and have filled in a few holes in the collection digitally where a complete album would not have been of interest. Any recommendations tend to get a good Spotify listen before I add them to the wish-list. There will undoubtedly be groups I will always buy everything released on whatever format they are available but with a resurgence in vinyl I have lately been buying the album on that format and getting a download code to add to my HDD. Must get a second HDD to back up the first though!

There may be a fault in my logic here. I would love to continue to support the artists I adore and am happy therefore to always buy my music but I do wonder how much they get of the price I pay, does it differ by format? Buying directly from the band / artist is similarly preferable for me because of that. 

Having catalogued my collection, which I drastically reduced about three years ago, mainly through selling on CD singles, I will have another cull once I have everything on the HDD and backed up. Curiously, I am in two minds about the limited edition CDs I have, the odd shaped cover and the like; are they likely to get me a better price or should I keep them for their uniqueness? Again, with certain artists the question answers itself but if I can fund the wish-list in its entirety that would be very exciting.

Anyway, with the first half of 2016 slipping away here’s my list of the most exhilarating finds this year (in some sort of order):


Breathless - Three Times and Waving
Blonde Redhead - Misery Is A Butterfly 
Poliça - United Crushers
And Also The Trees - Born Into The Waves 
Son Lux - Bones
London Grammar - If You Wait
Desaparecidos - Payola 
Son Lux - Lanterns
Kirk Brandon - Anthology
Killing Joke - What’s This For..? 
Son Lux - Strange Forms E.P. 
Daughter - Not To Disappear
Cuba - Leap of Faith
Kera - 1 by 1
Paul Haig - The Warp of Pure Fun
Metronomy - Love Letters
Lovisa Samuelsson - Main Magma Chamber


No comments:

Post a Comment